All types of dentures require proper care to keep them clean, free from stains and looking their best.
For good denture care we would recommend the following:
- Take care when cleaning: we advise cleaning your dentures above a full sink or over a towel, so your dentures won’t crack or break if you drop them.
- Rinse after eating: Remove your dentures and rinse under water to remove any food debris.
- Clean your mouth twice daily: After removal of your dentures, use a medium bristled toothbrush on natural teeth and a soft or medium toothbrush to clean your gums, palate and tongue. Ideally use a fluoridated toothpaste as it is both antibacterial and helps strengthen any remaining teeth. Take care to ensure all denture adhesive deposits are thoroughly removed, if used.
- Brush your dentures at least daily: Dentures should be cleaned with a soft-bristled denture brush and nonabrasive denture cleanser. This will help to remove food, plaque and other deposits. If you use denture adhesive, ensure all remaining adhesive is removed before soaking. Note: Denture cleansers should NOT be used inside your mouth as a replacement for toothpaste, and likewise, toothpaste should NOT be used on your dentures.
- Soak dentures overnight: Most types of dentures need to stay moist to prevent damage. Fully immerse your dentures in cold water overnight. A mild denture-soaking solution can also be used but are not always compatible with metal clasps/other components. Check with your dentist if a denture soaking solution is right for you. If used, ensure the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning and soaking solutions is followed and use with hot water is avoided.
- Rinse dentures thoroughly after cleaning: These solutions can contain harmful chemicals that cause vomiting, pain or burns if swallowed.
- Schedule regular reviews: Your dentist or clinical dental technician (CDT) will recommend how often to visit to have your dentures examined and professionally cleaned. Regular check-ups can help ensure a proper fit to prevent slippage and discomfort, and also check the inside of your mouth to make sure it’s healthy.
- Don’t put up with a loose fit: See your dentist or CDT promptly if your dentures become loose. Loose dentures can cause irritation, sores and infection.
Here at Smiles & More, we offer a professional cleaning service for only £20 which is usually advised 3-4 times per year.
Should you have any further questions about how to care for your dentures, or wish to arrange a professional denture clean, click here to contact or give us a call on 0800 909 8977.